James 5:13-18 affirms the place and importance of both personal prayer and group prayer in the Christian life.
Here are specific affirmations of both kinds of prayer from the passage and some points to discuss:
- Let him pray (vs. 13)
- Prayer of a righteous man (vs. 16-17)
- Let him call for the elders (vs. 14)
- Pray for one another (vs. 16)
Points for Discussion
1. Does the number of people praying effect a prayer’s validity or effectualness?
2. If not, then why does scripture recommend group prayer and why do many Christians prefer it?
3. Name some circumstances in which one type of prayer might be more suitable than the other.